Sunday, April 18, 2010

Update on the garden
We've got tomatoes! This is the cherry tomato plant in the earthbox, and, as you can see, there are tons of blooms which will mean tons of cherry tomatoes.
These are also Earthbox tomatoes, which will grow bigger and be delicious. I got in trouble for picking a green one the other day. I don't think I will do that again. At least mama is hoping I don't do that again.
A view of the length of the garden -- herbs up front (garlic, thyme, rosemary, basil, cilantro), and then lots of heirloom and other tomatoes to the right, with green beans and lima beans up front. I specifically requested lima beans, because they are my fave, and a new addition to our garden.
The other new thing mama is trying is a planting technique called the Three Sisters. The middle is corn, 5 seeds planted north, south, east and west, and one in the middle. Once the corn gets a little bigger than above, we will plant climbing beans around the corn, which will fix the nitrogen in the soil. Then, we plant squash around the beans, which provides ground cover to hold the soil. We've planted tons of green beans and squash before, but this is our first time for corn. We'll keep you posted.
I found a mushroom growing on a log, but mama warned me not to eat it or I will barf my brains out.

No comments: