Tuesday, September 25, 2007

First Sauerbraten dinner

My Aunt Kristen made Sauerbraten for dinner on Saturday, and Katie kept me company while I played in the pan cupboard. The last time the family had Sauerbraten together was Christmas, but I was still on a liquid diet. Sauerbraten is a traditional German meal where a huge hunk of beef is soaked in a vinegar and water mixture with cloves and a bay leaf for three days. It is then slow cooked for a long time so that the meat about falls apart. The gravy is served over potato balls, which are potatoes that are riced, formed into balls, and boiled. The sides are always green beans and red cabbage. Like a good Irish chap, I did eat the potato balls, and I gave those green beans a run for their money. Well, I'm not 100% Kraut, so mama's not surprised I wasn't a huge fan of the meat, but I bet I learn to like it in a few years. If not, Grandpa says there is more for him.

No comments: